» Home    » Cyprus Timeline    » Contact Us    » Links

Embassy News

Verheugen sees new rendezvous for Cyprus settlement
2003-03-27 15:34:59

Verheugen sees new rendezvous for Cyprus settlement by Nicos Bellos --- Brussels, March 26 - European Commissioner on Enlargement Gunter Verheugen urged Turkey today to support efforts for a comprehensive settlement to the Cyprus problem, based on the UN framework.

Speaking at a press conference at which he presented the Commission's proposal on the EU-Turkey relations adopted today in Brussels, Verheugen said that the next rendezvous for a Cyprus settlement will be between the end of the war on Iraq and the December 2004 decision on Turkey's EU membership negotiations.|

Referring to the role of the military in Turkey, Verheugen said it was completely out of line with the position of the armed forces in all EU member states.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Earlier this month, the latest UN-led effort to reach a negotiated settlement collapsed in The Hague after Denktash refused to put to a referendum a proposal submitted to the two sides on the island by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan

CNA/NB/KN/RG/2003
ENDS, CYPRUS NEWS AGENCY

Printer Friendly Page