Cyprus FM: Pseudostate's decision on ports is illegal and completely unfounded
Nicosia, Jan 6 (CNA) -- Cyprus Foreign Minister George Iacovou has said the decision of the so-called council of ministers in the Turkish occupied north of the island to open occupied ports ''for trade from southern Cyprus to Turkey and other countries and for trade from Turkey and other countries to southern Cyprus'' is illegal and completely unfounded.
Iacovou pointed out that Turkey's duty is to sign the protocol expanding its customs union with the ten new EU member states, including the Republic of Cyprus, in order to open Turkish ports for trade between Turkey and Cyprus.
He said that ports in the Turkish occupied north of the island have been declared illegal and consiquentry do not exist and added that the government of the Republic of Cyprus is the only one that can declare the ports legal. He also noted that there is no legal base in any decision of the occupying regime.
Government Spokesman Kypros Chrysostomides said the proposal of the government of the Republic of Cyprus according to which once the fenced-off area of the Turkish occupied town of Famagusta is given back to its lawful residents ''we could discuss the joint operation of the port'' is still on the EU table without any progress so far.
Famagusta was a renown eastern coastal tourist resort before the 1974 Turkish invasion and occupation of 37 per cent Cyprus territory.