» Home    » Cyprus Timeline    » Contact Us    » Links

Embassy News

Boucher: US policy on recognition of pseudostate not changed in the slightest
2005-03-09 14:04:48

Washington, Mar 9 (CNA) -- US policy on the recognition of the puppet-regime in Cyprus' Turkish-occupied areas has not changed in the slightest, US State Department Spokesman Richard Boucher has said.

Replying to a question he confirmed that and aide of Mehmet Ali Talat (self-styled prime minister in occupied Cyprus), Yonca Senyigit, visited the State Department last week, on a group visit for European leaders on US foreign policy, organised by the International Visitor Leadership Program.

Invited to say if the US wants to see the Annan plan apply for a solution to the Cyprus problem, revised or unrevised, Boucher said ''there is no such thing as a revised Annan plan. There is an Annan plan.''

Asked if the plan should be applied as it is, Boucher said: ''No, I'm just saying the facts are clear and there is nothing new.''

Invited to say why the latest State Department Human Rights Report on Cyprus does not say that the illegal entity in occupied Cyprus is not recognised by any other country, including the United States, Boucher said ''there is no change in our policy on recognition and I wouldn't read anything into that.''

''You know full well the United States does not recognise the so-called TRNC. Our policy has not changed on that. There is nothing new in that sentence. There is nothing new to talk about today,'' he noted.

Boucher stressed that the US policy on recognition ''hasn't changed in the slightest.''

Invited to said if an advisor of Talat visited the State Department last week, Boucher said ''Ms. Yonca Senyigit, an aide to Turkish Cyprus community leader Mehmet Ali Talat, visited the Department last week. Ms. Senyigit was in the US on a group visit for European leaders on US foreign policy, organised by the International Visitor Leadership Program. The group met with Deputy Assistant Secretary Glyn Davies on Wednesday, March 2. Ms. Senyigit also met individually with the director of the Southern Europe desk on Friday, March 4,'' he added.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37 per cent of its territory.

Printer Friendly Page