Government will not abandon talks to solve the Cyprus problem
Nicosia, May 28 (CNA) - The Cyprus government is making every possible
effort to solve the Cyprus problem through talks and peaceful processes, an
approach that is a one-way street and will not be abandoned, Government
Spokesman Michalis Papapetrou has said.
Invited to say what would happen if by the end of June no agreement was reached at peace talks on the four core issues of the Cyprus problem, namely governance, security, territory and properties, Papapetrou said all scenarios had been examined and would be submitted tomorrow to the National Council, top advisory body to the President on the Cyprus problem, comprising parliamentary parties' representatives.|
Cyprus President Glafcos Clerides and Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash have been engaged in direct talks since mid-January with a view to solve the problem of Cyprus, divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third.
Papapetrou said that if Turkish intransigence did not allow an agreement to be reached by the end of June, then "with our moves and tactics, we must ensure that no one would blame us for the failure of the talks".