President Christofias Condemns Turkish Prime Ministerís Illegal Visit to Occupied Cyprus
Nicosia, Jul 19 – Cyprus President Demetris Christofias has condemned the illegal visit of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to Cyprus’s areas occupied by Turkey since 1974.
Speaking during a ceremony for the missing persons in Cyprus, Mr. Christofias said that he denounces the presence of the Turkish Prime Minister especially during these days that the people of Cyprus feel deep pain and sorrow for what happened on July 20, 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of the island’s territory.
Referring to the humanitarian problem of missing persons, Mr. Christofias assured that the settlement of this issue constitutes a top priority for the Cyprus government. He also expressed hope that developments in the near future will allow Cyprus to be reunited without occupation troops, refugees and missing persons.
On his part, House President Marios Karoyan said that the settlement of the question of missing persons is of primary importance and that “in cooperation with the government we will intensify our efforts so that the Turkish side will be obliged to comply with the relevant European Court of Human Rights decision and cooperate with a view to effectively ascertain the fate of each and every missing person.”
He also expressed hope that there will be satisfying progress in the framework of efforts to prepare the ground for substantive negotiations to the Cyprus problem, expressing the belief however that this is not the case so far.
The Turkish Prime Minister is paying an illegal visit to Cyprus’s Turkish occupied areas to attend celebrations on the occasion of the 34th anniversary of the Turkish invasion of the island.