Foreign Minister says Cyprus ready to appeal against direct trade regulation
Nicosia, Apr 22 - - Minister of Foreign Affairs Marcos Kyprianou has expressed the government's readiness to appeal to the Court of the European Communities, in order to prevent the implementation of the proposed regulation on direct trade of the EU with the Turkish occupied areas of Cyprus.
''We will use all the institutional and political procedures we have at our disposal, and even if the regulation is promoted in the end, we will appeal to the Court of the European Communities,'' Minister Kyprianou said after attending a meeting of the parliamentary Committees on Foreign and European Affairs on April 21.
Minister Kyprianou briefed the members of the two committees on recent developments and reiterated that the proposed regulation was based on an incorrect legal basis. He said that if its aim is to facilitate Turkey, then it will fail since it will have the opposite effect, and that promoting the regulation would undermine efforts to solve the Cyprus problem.
Minister Kyprianou also pointed out that the regulation was never withdrawn by the European Commission or dismissed by the Council even though it has been pending for six years, adding that proposals that are not adopted are usually withdrawn after three or four years.
Minister Kyprianou then referred to the background of the regulation and pointed out that the Republic of Cyprus had never been actively briefed before or after the regulation was submitted, despite the fact that many objections had been raised.