Greek Cypriot sides responds to Denktash's document
Nicosia, Sep 17 (CNA) -- Government Spokesman Michalis Papapetrou has
said that the Greek Cypriot side today gave its response to the document
submitted last week at the UN-led talks on the Cyprus problem by Turkish
Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash on all aspects of the question.
Papapetrou said that during today's meeting between President Glafcos Clerides and Denktash, the issue of "the executive and legislative powers of the central state" were discussed and that deliberations on this issue would continue on Thursday, while next week talks will focus on territory.
"A detailed response was given in writing and some points were explained", Papapetrou said, adding that the agenda of the talks until September 26 was set out today.|
President Clerides and Denktash will be flying to New York after this round of talks, to meet with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan on October 3 and 4.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. President Clerides and Denktash have been engaged in talks, in the presence of the UN Secretary General's Special Adviser on Cyprus Alvaro de Soto, since January this year, with a view to reach a comprehensive settlement.
Asked if de Soto gave the impression today that he would be submitting any non-papers at the talks, Papapetrou replied in the negative.