Spokesman reacts to Turkish Foreign Minister
Copenhagen, Oct 28 (CNA) -- Cyprus will participate in the proposed
European deployment force only through facilities in services and installations,
Government Spokesman Michalis Papapetrou said here today, in response to
statements about the force by Turkey's Foreign Minister Sukru Sina Gurel.
Gurel had said that Turkey is uneasy about the new EU proposals relating to the European Security and Defence Policy (ESDP) and will oppose Cyprus' automatic use of NATO capabilities. Ankara, he said, will seek to prevent the use of NATO installations by new members of the EU countries, which are not members of the Alliance.
''I do not think that in the context of the European deployment force any country would be able to use by itself the capabilities this arrangement offers,'' Papapetrou said, asked to comment on Gurel's remarks.|
The spokesman is in the Danish capital accompanying President Glafcos Clerides who, along with the rest of the leaders of applicant countries, was briefed today by the Danish premier on the conclusions of last week's EU summit in Brussels.
EU-NATO cooperation in relation to the European deployment force was a thorny issue of discussion among the members of the two organizations. The Brussels summit adopted a common position on the matter, which will be put to the NATO summit in Prague.